Ryan M. Niemiec Psy.D.
Ryan M. Niemiec, Psy.D., is an award-winning psychologist, author, and international workshop leader. His specialty areas include: character strengths, mindfulness meditation, spirituality, and psychology portrayed in movies. Ryan’s highest character strengths are hope, love, curiosity, fairness, appreciation of beauty, perspective, and honesty.
- Education Director of VIA Institute on Character, a global, nonprofit organization in Cincinnati, Ohio that educates individuals about the science and practice of character strengths. VIA is a leading organization in positive psychology and the worldwide leader on the science and practice of character strengths.
- Ryan is author of a few books including two popular books in the field of positive psychology: Mindfulness and Character Strengths: A Practical Guide to Flourishing and Positive Psychology at the Movies 2: Using Films to Build Character Strengths and Well-Being. He's also co-author of Movies and Mental Illness (4th edition), with Danny Wedding.
- Ryan is adjunct faculty or professor at the following universities/organizations: Xavier University (Cincinnati), University of Pennsylvania, IE University in Madrid, WholeBeing Institute, Functional Medicine Coaching Academy.
- Ryan leads online workshops on the practice of character strengths for practitioners in business, psychology, coaching, disability, and education. In 2014, Ryan delivered over 100 presentations on character strengths.
In 2015, he presented a national workshop tour on Mindfulness-Based Strengths Practice (MBSP) across Australia, at universities in Iceland and Spain, a keynote address for the New Zealand Association of Positive Psychology, and the Rex J. Lipman Fellow address at St. Peter’s College in Adelaide. In recent years, he's delivered presentations for Harvard, Saint Louis University, Washington University, Ohio State University, Universidad Iberoamericana, University of Cincinnati, and Mount Saint Joseph University.
- Ryan is the creator of Mindfulness-Based Strengths Practice (MBSP), an innovative 8-week program that integrates the best practices of mindfulness and character strengths.
- Ryan has had the privilege of helping people in a variety of settings, including a weight management program, pain center, psychology & religion program, correctional facility, homeless shelter, neuropsychology clinic, general outpatient clinic, psychiatric hospital, rural clinic, and a primary care clinic.
- Ryan is Associate Editor of the journal PsycCRITIQUES, the official review journal of the American Psychological Association that publishes scholarly reviews of contemporary psychology books and films. Ryan is a consulting editor for the new Journal of Applied Positive Psychology and for Psychology of Popular Media Culture – an APA, peer-reviewed journal. He has served as a guest editor or reviewer for several other journals including Mindfulness, Death Studies, and Sage Open. He has published around 50 peer-reviewed or invited articles on character strengths, mindfulness, and related topics.