Richard B. Joelson DSW, LCSW
Richard B. Joelson, DSW, LCSW, has been a clinical social work psychotherapist, educator, and administrator since 1970. He received his master’s degree from Columbia University School of Social Work and his Doctor of Social Welfare degree from Hunter College School of Social Work at the City University of New York.
In addition, Dr. Joelson’s private practice in New York City provides counseling and psychotherapy services to individuals and couples. He has been the executive director of a mental health clinic and the Director of Admissions and Student Affairs at New York University School of Social Work. He was an assistant professor of social work at New York University and taught in both the doctoral program and the post-master’s program in social work administration at Hunter College School of Social Work.
His clinical practice includes work with a wide variety of individuals whose presenting problems are quite diverse. Many of his clients seek counseling or psychotherapy services on their own or are referred by others for specific help with the following:
- psychological disturbances rooted in trauma or traumatic memories utilizing eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR)
- self-defeating behaviors: people who habitually undermine themselves or find themselves drawn to situations or relationships where they will be disappointed, fail, or be mistreated
- work-related stress reactions
- competence and resilience deficits: people who need help acquiring or strengthening coping, problem-solving, and communication skills
- “micro-counseling” for the “hard-to-reach,” chronically resistant, or functionally “stuck” client
His book, Help Me! A Psychotherapist's Tried and True Techniques for a Happier Relationship with Yourself and the People You Love was published by Health Psychology Press. It is a finalist for the Foreword INDIES 2016 Book of the Year in the categories of Family & Relationships, Psychology and Self-Help. It won the 2017 National Indie Excellent Award in the Self-Help: General category.