20 Journal Prompts
Looking for writing inspiration? Here are some ideas to get you started.
Posted Jun 28, 2019
Journaling can be a great way to work through thoughts and emotions, record a day’s events, or just describe your experiences. Sometimes, though, it can be hard to know what to write when you’re staring at a blank page.
I like to make up prompts for myself and then use them when I’m feeling stuck. In case you need some inspiration, here are 20 prompts to get your writing flowing. Once you start, you might be surprised by where your words lead you!
1. Describe one of your favorite meals.
2. Write a letter to a loved one.
3. What’s out your window right now?
4. Describe a dream you remember.
5. Go somewhere new and describe your experience.
6. List 10 things for which you’re grateful.
7. What is your earliest memory?
8. What scares you?
9. Go to a coffee shop or other public place and record a conversation you overhear.
10. What makes you happy?
11. What is one thing you believe?
12. What’s a problem you’re facing? What’s one possible solution?
13. Write about your reactions to a book you’ve read or a movie you’ve seen.
14. Listen to music for a while, and while you're listening, write whatever comes to mind.
15. What's something you’d like to do or try? Why?
16. What's one question you’re still trying to answer?
17. Write a letter to your past self.
18. Write a letter to your future self.
19. List 10 things you love about someone.
20. What’s a lesson that you’ve learned?