Get to Know Your Kids
How to create a happy family!
Posted August 29, 2011
I am looking back on my family when I was growing up. When I came home from school we immediately did our homework, then I went outdoors and played with my friends; I just had to be home when the street lights came on. My family never had the television on during dinner time because it was a time to connect and share with parents and siblings on our day; I did not have technology so there was not any excuse not to do so. My parents always had the door open for me to talk to them about anything, and they listened. Sure, sometimes they gave me advice when I just needed an ear, but sometimes it was good advice.
When did life get so complicated for these kids? Am I the only one who thinks it is complicated? They have 500 classes to attend in a 6 hour day. It is crazy the demands that our society puts on kids. The pressure of having to be perfect at all things will put pressure on them and they will suffer from it; burn out, resentment, failure, and/or self-destructive behavior. Don't wait until something happens. I see it all too often how parents and society pressures children and later they want to escape from it; permanently! Do I have to say it? They may consider, attempt and maybe succeed at suicide.
The purpose of this blog is to help you create joy and "Funness" into your home again. Get back on the joy train again. Do fun things get to know your kids!
Here are some helpful tips for you:
- Let your kids be kids, too. Kids are growing up to fast which puts unnecessary pressure on them.
- Schedule free time for your kids to do what they enjoy; just as long as it is safe and does not hurt others.
- If you have to get things done...deligate deligate deligate!
- Create a sleeping schedule for you and your family. It sounds ridiculous, but research shows that going to bed at the same time and rising at the same time reduces stress and anxiety and increases productivity and patience. Make it fun!
- Try not to overschedule your kids in everything. When we over schedule them, you over schedule you and that is no fun!
- Create a schedule of school, activities, homework, social media etc. Kids tend to text and facebook too much which wastes a ton of time. Set boundaries with your children. Help them organize their time. They will enjoy it. Get a white board and make it fun and colorful.
- Have a game night! A simple thing to create a cohesive family.
- Have Kitchen Table Conversations! Actually ask about your kids day!
- Turn off the television and find a creative way to get to know your family again.
- Get ready the night before. Lay out clothes, have back pack ready to go in the morning and even set the table for breakfast. Have your keys, purse, and brief case ready as well. Don't rush in the morning. It will throw you and your child way off and create imbalance all day.
You will be happy that you are one of those families that have a happy home. It takes work these days, but with support, you can do it. Start a club of some sort with your local parents.
Make things fun.
From an outsider looking in.