Ten Varieties of Gratitude
One way to meditate on a virtue is to explore its variations
Posted Nov 23, 2017
1. Gratitude as platitude: “I want to thank you all for this opportunity to…”
2. Gratitude as attitude: “Just count your blessings. It’s good for your blood pressure.”
3. Gratitude as gratuity: “And, hey thanks for doing this fair and square deal with me.”
4. Gratitude as altitude: “Zowie!!!….Oh, it’s just that rare whiff of bliss, just a moment feeling exceptionally high on life.”
5. Gratitude for what’s coming: “All these years and it’s almost here…”
6. For what’s coming back: “I thought I’d lost you forever! Man, am I glad to see you!”
7. For what’s you’ve got: “Because you’re so reliably there for me, it’s easy to forget how much I depend on you, but boy, do I ever.”
8. For what you’re losing: “Yes I’m sad, frustrated and bitter but I’m getting over it. It’s just that it was such a blessing to have you all this time.”
9. For what you had: “Yes but damn, we had our day in the sun didn’t we?”
10. Ingratitude: Be grateful for your ingratitude. It’s what motivates you to try to improve things.
Be grateful for ingratitude
a necessary attitude.
The universally grateful
Wouldn’t work against what’s hateful.
Grant me the gratitude to accept what I can’t improve, the ingratitude to improve what I can and the wisdom to know the difference.