The Quiz: Mating IQ
How well can you read the opposite sex? Take this quiz and find out where you stand in the mating game.
By Glenn Geher and Scott Barry Kaufman published January 1, 2007 - last reviewed on June 9, 2016
How well can you read the opposite sex? PT encourages you to forsake barroom boasts and put yourself to a scientific test. The Mating Intelligence Scale was developed exclusively for PT by Glenn Geher and Scott Barry Kaufman. There are two versions, one for heterosexual males and one for heterosexual females. Each test is designed to provide a rough guide to your relationship effectiveness—not a definitive statement about individual character. To take the test, simply answer True or False for each of the 24 items under the test that pertains to you. Scroll to the end for scoring.
- ___ I think most women just like me as a friend.
- ___ I have slept with many beautiful women.
- ___ I'm pretty good at knowing if a woman is attracted to me.
- ___ I'm definitely not the best at taking care of kids.
- ___ I'm good at saying the right things to women I flirt with.
- ___ I haven't had as many sexual partners compared with other guys I know (who are my age).
- ___ I have a difficult time expressing complex ideas to others.
- ___ I am good at picking up signals of interest from women.
- ___ I'm definitely near the top of the status totem pole in my social circles.
- ___ I doubt that I'll ever be a huge financial success.
- ___ If I wanted to, I could convince a woman that I'm really a prince from some little-known European country.
- ___ Honestly, I don't get women at all!
- ___ Women tend to flirt with me pretty regularly.
- ___ If a woman doesn't seem interested in me, I figure she doesn't know what she's missing!
- ___ Women definitely find me attractive.
- ___ I've dated many intelligent women.
- ___ People tell me that I have a great sense of humor.
- ___ When I lie to women, I always get caught!
- ___ I am usually wrong about who is interested in me romantically.
- ___ It's hard for me to get women to see my virtues.
- ___ At parties, I tend to tell stories that catch the attention of women.
- ___ I'm not very talented in the arts.
- ___ I can attract women, but they rarely end up interested in me sexually.
- ___ When a woman smiles at me, I assume she's just being friendly.
- ___ I can tell when a man is being genuine and sincere in his affections toward me.
- ___ I doubt I could ever pull off cheating on my beau.
- ___ I look younger than most women my age.
- ___ When a guy doesn't seem interested in me, I take it personally and assume something is wrong with me.
- ___ Good looking guys never seem into me.
- ___ I have a sense of style and wear clothes that make me look sexy.
- ___ I attract many wealthy, successful men.
- ___ Honestly, I don't think I understand men at all!
- ___ With me, a guy gets what he sees—no pretenses here.
- ___ If I wanted to make my current guy jealous, I could easily get the attention of other guys.
- ___ Men don't tend to be interested in my mind.
- ___ I'm definitely more creative than most people.
- ___ I hardly ever know when a guy likes me romantically.
- ___ I laugh a lot at men's jokes.
- ___ If a guy doesn't want to date me, I figure he doesn't know what he's missing!
- ___ I am not very artistic.
- ___ My current beau spends a lot of money on material items for me (such as jewelry).
- ___ I am usually right on the money about a man's intentions toward me.
- ___ I really don't have a great body compared with other women I know.
- ___ Intelligent guys never seem interested in dating me.
- ___ I believe that most men are actually more interested in long-term relationships than they're given credit for.
- ___ Most guys who are nice to me are just trying to get into my pants.
- ___ When it comes down to it, I think most men want to get married and have children.
- ___ If I have sex with a man too soon, I know he will leave me.
How to tally your Mating Intelligence score.
Give yourself one point for every T answer to questions 2, 3, 5, 8, 9, 11, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, and 21. Add one point for every F answer to item numbers 1, 4, 6, 7, 10, 12, 18, 19, 20, 22, 23, and 24.
Give yourself one point for every T answer to questions 1, 3, 6, 7, 10, 12, 14, 15, 17, 18, 22, and 24. Add one point for every F answer to items 2, 4, 5, 8, 9, 11, 13, 16, 19, 20, 21, and 23.
If you score 18 or above, you have High Mating Intelligence.
You read the opposite sex well, you are good at getting members of the opposite sex interested in you (using a variety of psychological tactics), and you tend to be relatively successful in achieving your mating goals.
14-17: Average Mating intelligence
You have a decent read on the opposite sex and are able to get members of the opposite sex physically and psychologically interested in you. Your relationship strategies and outcomes tend to be typical (you win some, you lose some).
13 or below: Low Mating intelligence
There are likely areas in your relationship psychology that need improvement. You may not feel that you understand the opposite sex very well, and you don't see yourself as skilled at getting the attention of the opposite sex. Console yourself that there is room for improvement in future intimate relationships.