Find a Therapist
Find a Therapist
Find a Psychiatrist
Find a Therapy Group
Find a Treatment Facility
Ethics and Morality
Law and Crime
Race and Ethnicity
Sport and Competition
Low Sexual Desire
The Voice of Reason
Our inner dialogue is a tool for success
Give a Gift
Experts by Topic
Index of Blogs
The Top Posts of 2012
The posts that caught fire this year shed light on love, autism, introversion, creativity, and more. (Cloud photo from Shutterstock.)
8. Twenty Thoughts on How to Say, “It’s Over”
Ending a relationship is painful, but facing the truth will set you free
1. Twelve Ties That Bind Long-Term Relationships
Which relationships stand the test of time, and why?
3. The Most Dangerous Word in the World
This word can damage both the speaker’s and listener’s brain.
4. Asperger’s, Autism, and Mass Murder
Let’s stop the rush to judgment.
12. Seven Proven Tips for Weight Loss Success
Diet and weight loss strategies based on the latest scientific research
5. Seven Things Extroverts Should Know About Introverts (and Vice Versa)
Some simple guidelines for friendship across the personality gap.
2. DSM 5 Is Guide Not Bible—Ignore Ten Worst Changes
APA approval of DSM-5 is a sad day for psychiatry.
6. All Work and No Play Make the Baining the "Dullest Culture on Earth"
Bateson called them "drab and colorless:" The culture where play is shameful.
9. Lack of Empathy: The Most Telling Narcissistic Trait
Don't expect them to listen, validate, or support you.
10. The Science of Sex, Beer, and Enduring Love
What’s the one best question to predict casual sex?
11. Scientists Finally Conclude Nonhuman Animals Are Conscious Beings
Didn't we already know this? Yes, we did.
7. Why Do We Have Sex?
We have sex more for connection than for procreation or pleasure.
13. Do Men Find Very Skinny Women Attractive?
Women often misjudge men’s preferences.
21. How Kids Can Benefit From Playing Video Games
Think twice before limiting your kids’ video play; then don’t.
14. Ten Things Happy People Do Differently
Anyone can steal the strategies that are part of happy people's lives.
16. How to Flirt Without Being Obvious
Make the first move without really making it.
17. Why Nice Guys and Gals Finish Last in Love
Why being nice doesn't lead to love.
25. The One Social Skill that Can Change Your Life
6 easy ways to remember names and faces
18. How to Develop Attraction to People Who Are Good for You
You know who would be good for you. So why aren't you attracted to them?
15. Kids Today Are Less Free—And Less Creative
New research suggests that American schoolchildren are becoming less creative.
19. The Triggers of Sexual Desire: Men vs. Women
Are male brains hard-wired to see females as sex objects?
22. What Eating Too Much Sugar Does to Your Brain
The damage added sugar does to our bodies begins in our brains.
23. Seven Worst Things About Being a Male
The psychological burdens of carrying around a Y chromosome.
24. Why Are Mean People So Good Looking?
People who are bad know how to make themselves look good.
20. Ten Creative Block Breakers That Actually Work
You CAN overcome the frustration of feeling blocked.
Five Things NOT to Do to Babies
Work Hours, Work-Life Conflict, and Well-Being in Academics
Three Techniques to Read People
How Big a Problem is Anxiety?
Are You in a Relationship With an Unavailable Person?