Don't Marry Your Future Ex-Husband
Dating Mr. Wrong? Here are the top 5 reasons wise women make foolish choices.
Posted Feb 05, 2016
Choosing a life partner is one of the most important decisions we'll ever make, so chose wisely.
First, consider the top five reasons that wise women sometimes make foolish choices.
1. Timing. We’re most prone to fall mindlessly in love at difficult emotional junctures—on the heels of a breakup, divorce, or death of a family member, for example.
2. Steamy starts. The rush of romance and sexual attraction can act like a drug, and blur our capacity for clear thinking. When we get obsessed with a guy we confuse intensity with intimacy. In fact, intensity blocks us from taking an objective look at our partner, ourselves, and the relationship.
3. Idealization. We’re convinced he’s so brilliant and special, that we put him above us. Perhaps he has a gift we don’t possess, for example he can fix your computer, has a photographic memory, and can conjugate Latin verbs. Discerning his strengths and weaknesses is part of knowing him better, but an idealized view leads us to undervalue our own worth and ignore his shortcomings. We’ll make excuses for negative traits, qualities and behaviors because he’s “so brilliant.”
4. Desperation and fear. Your two best friends just got married, you’re about to turn forty, and someone reminds you that your biological clock is ticking.Your anxious brain wakes you at 3:00 in the morning with scary pictures of your future without a mate. Fear has never helped anybody make good choices. It leads to clinging when we should be walking.
5. Lack of Self-Focus: You’re looking for someone to fill up your empty bucket, give you some kind of direction, or provide meaning in your life. Poor choices happen when we’re not putting our primary energy into having our own life plan and figuring out how to live our own life (not someone else’s) as well as possible.