See if you identify with these statements from The Enneagram Made Easy (by Elizabeth Wagele) that 2-Helpers have made:
• I’m more comfortable giving than receiving.
• Sometimes I become physically ill and emotionally drained from taking care of everybody else.
• People have said I’m overly emotional.
• Watching violence on television and seeing people suffer is unbearable.
• I try to be as sensitive and tactful as possible.
• I’m attracted to being with important or powerful people.
• Tell me you appreciate me. Be specific.
• Take an interest in my problems, though I will probably try to focus on yours.
• Let me know I’m important, interesting, and special to you.
• Be gentle if you decide to criticize me.
• Tell me I’m attractive and you enjoy being seen with me.
And here are some comments people have made about 2’s:
• “She is loved by many because she gives so generously of herself. When a friend had cancer, she was the main support system for the family while still managing to put energy into her career.”
• “My 2-Helper friends are easy for me to be around. They are lighthearted and playful as well as having tremendous depth and wisdom. I wish I could articulate my feelings as well as they can.”
• “When I have a problem, I call my Two friend. She’s always perceptive, sympathetic, and nonjudgmental.”
Here are some ways of identifying 2-Helpers as children from The Enneagram of Parenting. See if they describe you as a child or a child you know:
• They may get their feelings hurt easily.
• They try to be good at school, perhaps by helping the teacher.
• They often try to get attention by pleasing or by showing off.
• They may be attracted to other children or animals with problems.
• 2’s are people people. They think about others a lot and want to be popular.
• They are sensitive to disapproval and criticism.
Here’s a drawing from The Enneagram of Parenting (by Elizabeth Wagele):
2’s tend to zero in on one person at a time. They can adapter their own personality to fit the person they are with. Trying to relate to several people at a time is sometimes stressful for them.