Ever wonder what kids are saying when they're online, texting, or using some sort of e-communication with their friends? If you feel clueless, join the club. Teens are notorious for creating a coded unique language and electronic slang (aka chat lingo) is no different. Chat lingo is a language that teens use to communicate with via electronic devices. As soon as adults get the hang of it, teens do what they do best, change it!
Due to the nature of electronic communication, teens have started getting much more creative in their short-hand messaging. If you want to understand your teen's lingo, you need to stay on top of these new chat trends. Understanding this type of "Morris Code" may come in handy and help you keep your teen safe.
You'll find your teen using this type of short-hand in a variety of places like:
What are teens really saying??? Take the quiz below and see what you know? Answers are at the bottom of this blog.
What do the following codes stand for?
7. LOL - ok, that's a gimme:-)
So, how did you do? If you did well, then you're ahead of the game. If not, here are some tricks of the trade...
2. They write messages by only using the first letter of every word.
3. Forget proper grammar, it doesn't exist. Teens use all caps, non-caps, or just a mixture to get their message across.
4. Letters can be substituted for letters that sound alike. For example, "Z" for "S" or "X" for "C or K" as in "cuz" rather than "because" or "thx" rather than "thanks".
5. Pictograms can be used to show emotions:
:-) = smile
;-) = wink
:-@ = screaming :- O
(*o*) = surprised or :- ()
:~) ... cute
:-))))))) ... lots of smiles
>:-|| ... mad / angry
^5 = high five
;-)~ = drunk
6. Characters can be put together to form letters |-| = H.
7. Vowels are often removed from words.
8. Words are spelled out in acronyms.
9. Text messaging is very phonetic for example rather than spell "you" use "u" or don't spell "be" when you can type "b".
10. Still having trouble decoding your teen's lingo? Teen Chat Decoder or Transl8it will help you instantly figure out your teen's message. Just type the message in the decoding box and submit, instantly your teen's lingo will be put in plain English.
Stay one step ahead of your teen and know what they're saying on-line. By keeping up with the current e-trends, you can stay informed and stay in the loop.
Please note, this blog is written to help you become aware of the lingo your teen is using via electronic communication devices. There are thousands of codes out there. Please educate yourself and use decoding sites to assist you in learning your teen's chat lingo.
(1) hit me up or call me
(2) (shake my head)
(3) let's meet for real
(4) I got high tonight
(5) all the way
(7) laugh out loud
(8) just kidding
(9) are we having fun yet
(10) bye for now