This is not going to be one of those nudge-nudge, wink-wink articles that talks about all the naughty things a couple can do once the kids move out. I'm saving that for Valentine's Day. No, this is a posting about how once you have an empty nest you can start to think about all or at least some of the things that make you happy. And some of them are dumb and some of them are silly. But they need to be acknowledged if you want to recalibrate yourself from a parent into a person again. So with some trepidation I give to you my top ten list of guilty pleasures and I encourage you all to send me yours.
Top Ten Guilty Pleasures
10. Any song by Abba, especially "Take a Chance on Me"
9. Wife beater t shirts, first made famous and fabulous by Marlon Brando in "A Streetcar Named Desire".
8." An Affair to Remember "- the movie and the song. (Oh Cary Grant! Oh Vic Damone! But most of all, Deborah Kerr.)
7. "The Bitch is Back" by Elton John
6. Cheetos and hot chocolate
5. Entertainment Tonight
4. Reading Vogue in the bath tub
3. Mac and cheese
2. Karaoke (again, any song originally done by Abba)
1. Snow Caps ( those mini non pareils, a food group of their own)
But then there are some things that don't involve guilt. They are pleasures, pure and simple. Here are mine. Tell me yours:
1. "I've Got you Under My Skin" sung by Frank Sinatra, arranged by Nelson Riddle.
2. Gilead by Marilyn Robinson. A book about forgiveness and redemption, for grown ups.
3. Dark chocolate
4. Pulp Fiction
6. The Museum of Modern Art
7. Sunset on the beach
8. Sunrise on the beach
9. A dark and cloudless night sky full of stars
10. The album Blue by Joni Mitchell (also Court and Spark).
And truth be told I'll take the pure pleasures over the guilty ones any time, every time.
But every now and then I go for guilty. Don't you?
(notice there's dark chocolate on both lists) :)