The world is full of opportunity, but sometimes too much thinking can get in the way. Here are a few tips to help you change your life for the better.
1. Remember the gifts you were born with. When you stop to remember what you have instead of worrying about what you don't have or may not be getting, it changes your perspective for the better.
2. Start your day the night before. The most successful people I know end their workday by making a list of what they have to do the following day or two ahead. This allows the subconscious to work on things while you sleep.
3. Be ready to grow up. Adults have the ability to learn to delay gratification, but we also have a choice as to how to behave when things don't go our way. If you remember to take the high road, you'll end up where you want to be.
4. Drop the attitude. If you think the world owes you a living, you might want to reevaluate your position. It is quite possible that, by feeling entitled, you are pushing away things and people you might like.
5. Don't ignore your emotions, but remember that feelings aren't facts. Emotions need to be honored—they don't have to be justified—but just because you have a feeling doesn't mean that you're right.
6. Watch out for negative thinking. Sometimes we get into negative feedback loops and don't even know it. If thoughts of being helpless and hopeless continue to enter your mind, you might just need to take a nap or perhaps talk with someone who can help.
7. Set up and stick to a routine. We are creatures of habit, and good habits, such as getting regular exercise, make us feel better. Maintaining good habits also helps us feel that we have some control over our lives. Just do it.
8. Drop your resentments. We all have them. Whether they are toward our parents, partners, or peers, resentments take up too much psychic space to allow us to function properly. By choosing to drop them, you will make your life much lighter. The hardest part is making the decision to let your resentments go.
9. Know who you really are, and learn to honor yourself. We all fake it from time to time and, once in a while, this can be a good thing, but never compromise your personal values and always strive to be your best self.
10. Enjoy a part of every day. You can't always be in bliss-city, so look for those little bright moments that happen all the time but that we often fail to recognize. Make a point of seeing some good in every day, and you will change your life.
Changing your life for the better is about picking a destination and taking one step at a time to get there. If you try to take shortcuts, you may end up making your journey long and arduous. Being serious about making improvements is a great start. Now put it into action.
Dr. Goldsmith's Website
Dr. Goldsmith's Facebook
Dr. Goldsmith's Tweets
Dr. Goldsmith's LinkedIn