Happy earth day! Today, we celebrate all the earth gives us. Therefore, there is no better time to recognize one of the most important things the earth provides- wonderful food. The real challenge is eating it mindfully. How can we make it a mindful eating day? Here are a simple few tips.
1) Drink water mindfully! Drinking water prevents dehydration and helps you to feel fuller. Thirst can often be mistaken for hunger. Go for a glass of refreshing H2O rather than bottled water today.
3) If you are at a buffet or office cafeteria, skip the tray. Washing trays takes a lot of energy and water. An added benefit is that forgoing the tray makes you think twice about what you choose to eat rather than placing a variety of things on your tray. You may notice yourself asking, “do I really want this piece of pie enough to carry it back to my seat?”
4) Try out some healthy earth day recipes.
5) Give up one splurge food, just for today, that may have a negative impact on the environment. For example, forgo the afternoon soda, which may be adding extra calories and also another plastic bottle to the trash. Or, check out this website. You may be surprised how skipping one burger (or changing your diet just a little) will not only help your waistline, but make the earth a little happier.
7) Buy something local from a farmer’s market. Nothing is better than eating fresh fruits and veggies mindfully. Consider how much fuel and energy it takes to fly in mangos or other exotic fruits. For lunch today, choose an apple versus a banana. Savor a local cheese, meat or wine.
8) At the grocery store, check out the organic section. Organic foods taste fresh and wonderful. Also, they can keep the environment safe from pesticides and other toxins.
9) Plant something—buy one tomato plant or some herbs. It’s difficult to eat food mindlessly after you realize how much work and effort it takes to grow it. Don’t have much room? Cut up an old tin can and plant a few seeds.
By Dr. Susan Albers, psychologist and author of 50 Ways to Soothe Yourself Without Food, Eating Mindfully, Mindful Eating 101, Eat, Drink & Be Mindful.