During this Holiday, take some time to reflect on what's most important and express your gratitude to those you love. We're only here for a very short time and being thankful will help you value it.
- Life. Life is a gift and life with love is heaven on earth. To be able to share what ever you have with those closest to you is one of the best feelings any human being could ever experience.
- Laughter. Being with someone who makes you laugh every day is healing, enriching and just downright fun. It is also one of the signs of a healthy relationship.
- Trust. To be at peace couples have to trust one another. Knowing that your partner is there for you and will remain faithful on all levels takes a lot of the stress of daily living away.
- Tears. To be able to cry on your loved one's shoulder if you need to is one of the treasures in a good relationship. For a man, to be able to let his guard down and release the pain is nurturing and emotionally healthy. For a woman, having someone who will listen and hold her is a way she will feel safe and secure.
- Sharing. Dealing with the ups and downs of life and love as a couple will bond you and make things easier. Life is sweeter when you share it, so don't hold back.
- Serenity. The feeling of peace that a couple has when they know who they are and where they are going is one of the best sensations you can have. Tranquility is one of the most underrated things in life.
- Happiness. Feeling like Snoopy at suppertime or grinning from ear to ear because you know you're loved by the right person is a rare and beautiful gift.
- Health. If you've ever dealt with a serious or chronic illness you know how important your health is. Being with someone who will care for you if you ever have a physical crisis gives you a powerful sense of well being.
- Faith. Knowing that there is a higher power you can turn to when things become to difficult for you to deal with on your own is a blessing. We all have our doubts about this from time to time and most seem to return to the idea that something much more powerful than we are has had a hand in making this all happen.
- Friendship. Being with your best friend is one of the most romantic things I can think of. As the years pass, having someone you can talk to is far more important than money, looks or sex. Friendship in a relationship is a winning combination.
I love Thanksgiving, it's a time when I get to remind myself of the many things I am grateful for, and all of you who read my column are a big part of that. Thank you.
Dr. Goldsmith's Website
Dr. Goldsmith's Facebook
Dr. Goldsmith's Tweets
Dr. Goldsmith's LinkedIn