Dyspareunia refers to pain in the pelvic area during or after sexual intercourse. This can occur in both men and women.
Vaginismus refers to an involuntary spasm of the musculature surrounding the vagina causing it to close, resulting in penetration being difficult and painful, or impossible.
Sexual Pain Disorder. Last reviewed 10/24/2006
- Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders
- Dyspareunia Fact Page
- American Family Physician
- Griffith's 5-Minute Clinical Consult
- Kistner's Gynecology & Women's Health
- National Institutes of Health - National Library of Medicine. Medical management of endometriosis-associated pain