Some number of years ago Maharishi Mahesh Yogi wrote about the purpose of psychology and psychotherapy, and what the goals of the field should be. Here are his thoughts:
- Making the mind strong.
- Enlarging the conscious capacity of the mind.
- Enabling a person to use his or her full mental potential.
- Bringing out techniques whereby all latent faculties of the mind might be unfolded.
- Bringing greater contentment, peace, and inner happiness, with greater efficiency and creativity in each individual.
- Brining the power of concentration, increased willpower, and the ability to maintain inner poise and peace, even while busily engaged in outside activity.
- Develping self-confidence, power of tolerance, clear thinking, and greater power of thought.
- Establishing the mind in eternal freedom and peace in God consciousness under all circumstances in the midst of all activity and silence of relative existence.