A mother with her daughters
In Honor of Mother's Day, I searched the web and selected the 11 best quotes about mothers. Psychological attachment theories suggest that the child's relationship with the parents forms the basis for adult relationships. The majority of children form secure attachments which allow them to use the parent as a safe haven from which to go out and explore the world. This results in adult attachment styles characterized by trust that others will be responsive to one's needs for nurturance, and trust in the self to safely negotiate relationships and challenges. If the attachment bond is disrupted by parental abandonment, abuse, inconsistent attachment or neglect, individuals may develop avoidant, anxious, or ambivalent attachment, characterized by a lack of consistent trust in self to function independently and/or in others to freely love and care for us. The attributes of a loving mother we see in the below quotes should result in a securely attached adult.
- The moment a child is born, the mother is also born. She never existed before. The woman existed, but the mother, never. A mother is something absolutely new. ~Rajneesh
- God could not be everywhere and therefore he made mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
- “Most of all the other beautiful things in life come by twos and threes by dozens and hundreds. Plenty of roses, stars, sunsets, rainbows, brothers, and sisters, aunts and cousins, but only one mother in the whole world.” -Kate Douglas Wiggin
- “There is no way to be a perfect mother, and a million ways to be a good one” - Jill Churchill
- Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved.- Erich Fromm, psychologist
- “A mother understands what a child does not say.” -Jewish proverb
- "Woman knows what man has long forgotten, that the ultimate economic and spiritual unit of any civilization is still the family. -Clare Boothe Luce
- “A mother is the truest friend we have, when trials, heavy and sudden, fall upon us; when adversity takes the place of prosperity; when friends who rejoice with us in our sunshine, desert us when troubles thicken around us, still will she cling to us, and endeavor by her kind precepts and counsels to dissipate the clouds of darkness, and cause peace to return to our hearts.” -Washington Irving
- “When you were small and just a touch away, I covered you with blankets against the cold night air. But now that you are tall and out of reach, I fold my hands and cover you with prayer. Dona Maddux Cooper
- 'The heart of a mother is a deep abyss at the bottom of which you will always find forgiveness.' ~ Honore de Balzac
- 'A mighty power and stronger Man from his throne has hurled,For the hand that rocks the cradle Is the hand that rules the world.'~ William Ross Wallace
These quotes celebrate our culture's view on the love of a mother for her child, which is seen as unselfish, unconditional, intuitive, unique, forgiving, & everlasting. The mother is also seen as wise and powerful, protecting and caring for her family. While not everybody is lucky enough to have this type of mother, these images are cultural ideals, designed to inspire women to be the best mothers they can be. Perfection is not necessary, however. Since the majority of children develop secure attachments, It is sufficient to be a good, or "good enough" mother in order to cement the attachment bond.
Melanie Greenberg PhD is a Clinical Health Psychologist with a private practice in Marin County, CA. She specializes in helping individuals deal with life stress due to chronic illness, role demands, traumas and major life transitions. She is also available for workshops and speaking engagements. To find out more about my clinical practice, background, and scientific publications, visit my website http://melaniegreenbergphd.com/marin-psychologist/. For more articles, check out my blog http://marinpsychologist.blogspot.com. Follow me on twitter (@drmelanieg) & facebook http://www.facebook.com/MindfulSelfExpress.