- Find a Therapist
- Topic Streams
- Get Help
RelationshipsLow Sexual Desire
Recently Diagnosed?Diagnosis Dictionary
- Psych Basics
My Genes, My Self
- To Know or Not To Know
Genetic screening can can be transformative, as well as toxic.
- Fate and Free Will
Why do you have those genes, anyway?
- All in the Family?
Settling the (maternalism) nature v. nurture debate.
- Centenarians: It's All in the Genes
Variations in two genes are associated with longevity.
- You Talkin' to Me? You Talkin' to ME?
This workout is the perfect storm.
- Q&A with Novelist Dan Bardon
Author draws on struggles with addiction, recovery, and being a good man
- Stress, Violence and Your Genes
Early childhood stress predisposes to more disease even sooner.
- Women: Does Orgasm Give You a Hangover?
Research reveals lingering postcoital cycle in women.
- Intelligence is not (just) Genetic
Social environments shape genetic influences on intelligence.
- My Family Secret, By Ann Hite
A daughter deals with abandoning her bipolar mother.
- Family’s Mental Health History Offers Surprising Benefits
Shame, guilt and anxiety diminish with information.
- A Genetic Test to Select Your Child’s Sport
Genetic Testing: Snake oil or a boon for competitive parents?
- Genetics as Rorschachs: Pondering Our Genes and Our Fate
Genetic information is often ambiguous. Our prior beliefs shape our views.
- Why You Need to Know Your Family's Mental Health History
Ask the tough questions, for your health.
- Musical Dynasties: It (Genetically) Runs in the Family
Genetics may account for musical predisposition and ability.
- It's time for a new look at nature and nurture
Is your future really determined by your genes?
- How our genes set us up for mental illness.
Is mental illness written in our genes?
- Shyness: Biologically Based? A Mental Disorder? or A Personality Quirk?
When and how should shyness be treated?
- Does Aging Level the Playing Field?
Where wallflowers and nerds meet queen bees and quarterbacks.
- Don’t reduce everything to nature and nurture
Genes and environment don’t explain everything. We’re wired by experience.
- A twin study primer
How we know what we know about heritability in humans
- Stigma and the “Othering” of Autism
Should we hate autism, or accept it?
- The Genetics of Chronic Widespread Pain
Mind control versus the human genome.
- The Genetics of Pain Perception
Our chromosomes are crying right along with us.
- The Tiger Mom in (Scientific) Perspective
Chua's arguments seem scientifically plausible. They aren't.
- Want to know what "race" is or isn't? Don't ask the dictionary!
The dictionary should reflect science, not popular usage.
- Personalized Medicine: Coming Soon to a Clinic Near You
Making medicine personal
- The Upside of Learning Disabilities
The system is disabled, not the kids
1To Catch a Liar, Ask the Right Questionby Jack Schafer, Ph.D.
2Why Imperfect Sex Can Be Plenty Good Enoughby Susan K. Perry, Ph.D.
3The Puzzle of Pretty Boysby Carlin Flora
420 Questions That Will Tell You If It's Loveby Susan Krauss Whitbourne, Ph.D.
54 Ways to Resist Rageby Beverly D. Flaxington