Friends influence us more than we think, for better and for worse. Here are some guidelines for tapping into the positive power of Friendfluence.
1. Make friends consciously.
Don't passively drift into a group whose values you're not sure about.
2. Recognize that conflict is part of friendship.
Don't let resentments build up -- bring them up gently to avoid blowouts down the line.
3. Don't treat her as you'd like to be treated. Treat her as SHE would like to be treated.
We don't all feel comforted or appreciated by the same behaviors.
4. Give little (encouraging text messages) and give big (a surprise party).
5. Be supportive 90 percent of the time, but don't shy away from telling your friend a difficult truth once in a while.