In honor of the SAT getting rid of analogies, I present my own set of analogies. I was inspired to put together this little exercise after hearing on Radiolab how hip hop was being threatened by electronic dance music. Which totally makes sense—have you seen that video by Iggy Azalea’s homage to the movie Clueless?
So I started thinking about threatening relationships and here I go:
A:B::C:D in other words “A is to B like C is to D.”
The general premise (A is to B) is Peter Rosenberg’s view that that electronic dance music threatens hip hop.
electronic dance music : hip hop ::
- “Free” news : journalism
- Social media : politicians
- Obamacare : private practice medicine
- Public sentiment : Obamacare.
- Greed : politicians. (Okay this analogy is age old but check out what went down in Chinatown)
- Tea party : moderate Republicans
- Student debt : economy
- Global warming : humanity
- Antibiotic overuse : modern medicine
- Putin : Ukraine
- China : Taiwan
- Obama administration : residents who entered the United States without permission
- Chick fil A’s stance on gay marriage : Chick fil A’s bottom line
- 6 big flops: the movie industry as we know it
- Internet : Print newspaper and magazine subscriptions
- New Media : Old Media
- False Equivalency : Journalism
I decided to link out for verification and further reading. Wherever I didn't provide links, learn about in The Complete Guide to Article Writing: How to Write Successful Articles for Online and Print Markets (F+W Media/Writer's Digest Books)