Sometimes, a dark sense of humor is the best response to stress. And one of the most common stresses in people's lives is their responsibilities as parents, always wanting to do the right thing.
Today's smile is more of a smirk. These have been culled from an old contest in the Washington Post Style Invitational.
Some Children’s Books That Will Never Get Published
1. You Are Different and That's Bad
2. The Boy Who died from eating all his vegetables
3. Fun four-letter Words to Know and Share
4. Hammers, Screwdrivers and Scissors: An I-Can-Do-it-Book
5. Curious George and the High-Voltage Fence
6. All Dogs go to Hell
7. The Little Sissy who Snitched
9. Some Kittens Can Fly
10. That's it, I'm putting You Up for Adoption
11. Grandpa Gets a Casket
12. The Magic World Inside the Abandoned Refrigerator
(For a discussion of what prompted the Smile a Day column, see an earlier post)
Click here for my book (one of O: The Oprah Magazine's 10 Titles to Pick Up in May; with Foreword by New York Times columnist David Brooks): The House on Crash Corner and Other Unavoidable Calamities—about the sad, hilarious and meaningful ways we deal with the crises in our lives.