1. Children are a great comfort in your old age - and they help you reach it faster, too. ~LionelKauffman
The women that I know and love who had kids all look a bit, um, worn out. Fortunately so do their husbands. But who says life is all about looking good?No I don't want a show of hands.
2. The quickest way for a parent to get a child's attention is to sit down and look comfortable.~Lane Olinghouse
And the quickest way for a child to get a parent's attention is to say "I'm bored."
3. If there is anything that we wish to change in the child, we should first examine it and see whether it is not something that could better be changed in ourselves. ~Carl Jung
Ah, Dr. Jung. I hate it when you're right.
4. Don’t handicap your children by making their lives easy. ~Robert A. Heinlein
Growing up is a learning curve, but your kids can't really be self sufficient if you pretend that their actions have no consequences.
5. A young lady is a female child who has just done something dreadful. ~Judith Martin
But dreadful passes. Good manners are forever. Scold with class. Don't call your children names (ie, stupid, lazy, bad) that you will later regret.
6. When you teach your son, you teach your son's son. ~The Talmud
Yep, we can help or we can damage future generations. Oy.
7. Instant availability without continuous presence is probably the best role a mother can play. ~Lotte Bailyn
Don't hover, don't smother. Be by. Kind of like a combination watch dog/ninja who cooks and catches spelling mistakes.
8. The trouble with being a parent is that by the time you are experienced, you are unemployed. ~Author Unknown
True, but there are always grandchildren........if not yours, some one else's.