Might any of these on-the-fly destressers help you?
- Have a song rolling in your head. "It's a Small World After All' works well for me.
- As you get each tiny part of a task done, say to yourself, “Okay."
- Rock in a chair, even if you have to be working.
- Think, “Baby steps. What’s the next baby step?”
- Take three deep breaths, maybe staring at something beautiful, like a flower. Take twice as long to exhale as to inhale.
- Think of your most peaceful image: a baby sleeping, a fern-lined creek, clouds floating.
- Take a three-minute walk or drive, perhaps while listening to Pachelbel Canon or to your favorite pump-it-up music.
- Call someone you love, just to say you love them.
- Get on the floor with your dog.
- Have a ritual—for example, a waking or bedtime ritual.
- Realize that, with 7.7 billion people on the planet and that this day is a mere blink of history’s eye, it doesn’t matter that much.
There are no magic pills but at least these have no side effects.