The true power of the mind, its impact on our health, future, outlook, and self-concept
, is a mystery, sparking much discussion and debate for centuries. As food for thought, here's what some of the world's most respected figures of the past along with some of today's most recognized inspirational speakers and writers, have to offer on this intriguing subject.
Voices of the Past
• The energy of the mind is the essence of life. -- Aristotle
• Physical concepts are free creations of the human mind, and are not, however it may seem, uniquely determined by the external world. -- Albert Einstein
• Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter. -- Mark Twain
• The empires of the future are the empires of the mind. Winston Churchill
• Man's mind once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimension. -- Oliver Wendell Holmes
• Even when I was in the orphanage, when I was roaming the street trying to find enough to eat, even then I thought of myself as the greatest actor in the world. I had to feel the exuberance that comes from utter confidence in yourself. Without it, you go down to defeat. -- Charlie Chaplin, actor, director
Voices of the Present
• What we think determines what happens to us, so if we want to change our lives, we need to stretch our minds. -- Wayne Dyer, speaker and bestselling author
• If you believe you can, you probably can. If you believe you won't, you most assuredly won't. Belief is the ignition switch that gets you off the launching pad. -- Denis Waitley, speaker, productivity consultant, and best-selling author
• The future you see is the future you get. -- Robert G. Allen, speaker, investment advisor, and best-selling author
• The monsters of the mind are far worse than those that actually exist. Fear, doubt, and hate have hamstrung more people than beasts ever have. -- Christopher Paolini, author
• I found that when you start thinking and saying what you really want then your mind automatically shifts and pulls you in that direction. And sometimes it can be that simple, just a little twist in vocabulary that illustrates your attitude and philosophy. -- Jim Rohn, personal development expert, speaker, and author
© 2012 Sherrie Bourg Carter, All Rights Reserved
Follow Dr. Bourg Carter on Facebook and Twitter.
Sherrie Bourg Carter is the author of High Octane Women: How Superachievers Can Avoid Burnout
(Prometheus Books, 2011).