How much do you know about psychology? Here are some sample questions from an Introductory Psychology exam.
1. In a psychology experiment, the experimenter randomly assigns participants to either systematic relaxation training or to a control condition. Whether a participant gets the training or not is called the:
a. Independent variable
b. Dependent variable
c. Extraneous variable
2. Which type of research design allows you to determine cause-and-effect relationships?
a. Correlational design
b. Experimental design
c. Longitudinal design
3. When we meet people and get initial impressions of them based on their unique features—race, age, sex, etc.—this is known as:
b. the actor-observer effect
c. social categorization
4. Which area of the brain is most associated with vision?
5. A psychologist rings a bell each time she gives a dog some food and the dog salivates. After a while, the dog salivates whenever it hears the bell. Salivation to the sound of the bell is called:
a. Unconditioned response
b. Conditioned stimulus
c. Conditioned response
6. Priming is considered part of implicit memory because it:
a. Requires deep encoding
b. Occurs without conscious awareness
c. Involves emotions
7. Fred has an irrational fear of cats. He will not enter a house that has a cat, and he crosses the street to avoid walking near a cat. Fred would be diagnosed with which anxiety disorder?
a. Social phobia
b. Generalized anxiety
c. Specific phobia
8. Which type of need is at the top of Maslow’s Need Hierarchy?
a. Esteem needs
b. Self-actualizing needs
c. Social needs
9. Which of the following would be considered a secondary reinforce in reinforcement theory?
10. Unlike authoritarian parents, authoritative parents are:
a. Loving and caring
b. Demanding and neglectful
c. Demanding and responsive
- 8-10 correct—You are smarter than an Intro Psych student
- 5-7 correct—You could probably pass Intro Psych
- Fewer than 5 correct—Go back and study some more
Email to a friend or colleague!
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/ronriggio