This 2 minute video produced by The Fun Theory.com (click here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lXh2n0aPyw) is a must see. It begins in a typical subway entrance. The camera pans in on an escalator next to stairs. Next, a crew turns the staircase into piano keys. The video brings to mind Tom Hanks jumping on large piano keys in the movie Big. Even adults can't help but hop on a key or two.
The result? After the transformation, 66% more people decide to walk the staircase instead of ride the escalator. Wouldn't it be nice to live in a world that helped us be creative and think outside the box when it comes to exercise? The point of the video? Healthy changes are easy when they are fun.
How can we make exercise more fun?
1) Maybe your office doesn't come equipped with piano stairs, but you can pick a song to hum while taking the stairs (the Rocky theme song is always enough to make you pick up the speed a little, smile and feel like a champ).
2) On Your Mark, Get Set, Go. Race your kids. The first one out the door wins.
3) Wii Fit Plus. You will hardly know you are exercising.
4) Watch Dancing with the Stars. Nothing makes you feel like moving quite like this show. While the professionals dance between sets, get up and do a twirl or two. Do some salsa steps down the hallway whenever you get the chance.
5) Hula Hoops. Makes you feel like a kid and is great for the hips. Don't have one? Just pretend.
6) Take a walk to a destination. Head to a coffee shop or the newspaper stand. Go somewhere with your own two feet.