In the year 2000, having studied the issue exhaustively, the White Commission on Complementary and Alternative Medicine declared that a “biopsychosocial–spiritual” approach to healthcare was optimal.
When I read that, I could hear the collective ‘forehead smack’ as people thought, “Really? An exhaustive study to say something as obvious as that?”
It’s commonsensical. If you want peak wellbeing, you improve every area of your life. The thing is that although we may know that, we forget. We focus on one or two, maybe three areas at the expense of all the areas let alone the key strategies within each one.
Here’s a list. Just scan it. It’s got the six life wellness areas and some key examples of strategies within each one. Before you finish it and begin to freak out because it seems like so much, by the very end of this post you’ll learn that there is more to it than meets the eye:
- Exercise — both aerobic and strengthening
- Nutrition — including optimal food, fluid and fasting
- Sleep, rest and relaxation
- Self-health, supplementation and partnering with professionals
- Learn about your personality and how you uniquely experience things
- Understand the story of your family and childhood
- Discover how to change your behavior and thinking
- Laugh; have fun
- Learn communication, assertiveness and negotiating skills
- Nurture your relationships with love and attention
- Create supportive and empowering social networks
- Prepare for disasters
- Learn to manage your time
- Learn how to organize your finances, home, work and life
- Clarify and live in accord with your values and principles
- Discover your life’s passion and go after it!
- Do things to continually give back
6. Traditionally Spiritual
- Practice your religion if you have one
- Regularly recount what you are grateful for
- Give and ask for forgiveness — a lot
- Find beauty everywhere
Ok, here’s the catch — actually catches.
First, to have extreme wellbeing, you need in some way or another to practice everything on this list and whatever else you can think of that’s relevant to you.
I know, it’s hard to do everything. I get it. And remember what you saw was a partial list. We need a lot of help to practice all of these things. No problem. I have that covered in a new SatoriWest “LifeClub” that you can find out more about later.
Anyway, 100% perfect is not what we’re aiming for. Mostly because it doesn’t exist — which can make it tricky to achieve anyway. Try for about 70% to 80% of the strategies and we’re cookin’ with gas.
Two, now that I’ve said the above, not only do you need to practice all these strategies, you need to do them at about the same time. (Ouch. That probably sounds even harder than the first catch.)
The overall strategy is to practice at least one key strategy from each area of wellness to begin and work up from there. If you can do that, the synergy, the multiplication effect takes over. Not only will you get a higher return of investment, so to speak, but it will make adding more strategies that much easier! In other words, your life will evolve at a much faster pace.
Three, at the heart of the matter, not only do you need to practice one if not most strategies from all these areas, and at about the same time, you need to integrate them. By integrate what I mean is that you practice each strategy with this common end: developing your higher brain.
“Developing your higher brain? Huh?”
Ok, let me back up. There’s a little fact central to total wellness that I left out. Extreme wellbeing basically requires only one thing! It’s the one thing from which everything arises and the one thing you must aim for in return: A highly developed higher brain.
Before you injure your neck shaking your head back and forth, I’ll try to unravel this for you.
Really briefly, when you develop your higher brain you wake up to something that you had previously taken utterly for granted: that your existence is crazy unlikely. It’s rare beyond imagination…and because you can be aware of it, because you can experience it, makes each moment a true miracle. (Learn more about that here.)
If you were to grasp the miracle of your existence — even a tiny bit — you would be in a state of amazement. Grasp it a lot and you would be astounded by your very existence each moment of your life. You would appreciate everything — good or bad! Nothing could take away a deep and abiding happiness and inner peace. You would flow easily through each moment.
That’s also the core definition of peak wellness: Being so aware of, amazed and grateful for your own existence that…
- your level of physical vitality and health shoots up.
- happiness skyrockets while inner calm settles in.
- your relationships become empowering, loving and effective.
- you are more successful in almost everything you do.
- you discover a passion to make a difference in the world.
- there is a sense of connection with everything around you.
To name just a few ways your life improves.
So, you might be wondering, “Well if developing your higher brain inside your head is all it takes to have extreme levels of wellness, why bother talking about wellness? Why practice wellness in every area, at the same time, and directed to…oh, directed to developing your higher brain. I get it. One thing leads to the other. If I practice wellness in a way that stimulates my higher brain and strengthen my higher brain from the inside I’ll experience a quantum leap in wellness and wellbeing.”
That’s the SatoriWest Method: strengthen your brain from the inside while practicing wellness strategies at the same time to make it easier and easier…and you head straight to extreme wellbeing!
To find out more about the SatoriWest Method and SatoriWest LifeClubs, go to SatoriWest.net.