What would someone living the Existential-Humanistic perspective be like?
1. You would explore what it means to exist and what it means for you to be human. Ask yourself who am I? What is my world?
2. You would value your unique subjective experience. Trust your own inward searching process (Bugental) to discover and value who you are in the moment. When asking a question or confronting an issue, you would stay in silence for a moment and see what emerges.
3. You would balance the rational by being open to your intuitive self as well. Listen to the quieter voice we all have inside ourselves.
4. With compassion, you would be aware of the full spectrum of feelings and thoughts of which you are capable. Endeavor to experience and understand your feelings, rather than judging or excluding them.
5. You would embrace that we are all interconnected and that Buber’s idea of an I-Thou relationship is an optimal way to relate to others. You would treat everyone in your life with reverence and respect, or as the saying goes, “If you see yourself in others, how can you cause anyone harm?”