It's not everyday that I get an invite to speak with NIDA's director, Dr. Nora Volkow, and so, even though it required my creative use of some VOIP technology from a living room in Tel-Aviv, I logged onto a conference call led by the leading addiction researcher. When my colleagues, Dirk Hanson and Elizabeth Hartney, were introduced, I knew I was in good company.
Addiction research directions the NIDA way
The call focused on some NIDA interests, including a nicotine vaccine, which Dr. Volkow seemed confident will triumphantly exit phase 3 trials in less than two years and potentially enter the market after FDA approval in three years or less. The vaccine, which seems to significantly and effectively increase the production of nicotine antibodies in approximately 30% of research participants, has shown promise as a tool for smoking cessation in trials showing complete cessation, or significant reduction in smoking among participants that produced sufficient antibodies. Obviously, this leaves a large gap for the 70% of participants for which the vaccine was not effective, but a good treatment for some is much better than no treatment for all. For more on the vaccine, check out Mr. Hanson's post here.
Aside from the nicotine vaccine (and a similarly conceived cocaine vaccine), our conversation centered on issues relevant to the suggested new DSM-5 alterations in addiction-related classifications. Dr. Volkow expressed satisfaction at the removal of dependence from the title of addictive disorders, especially as physical dependence is often part of opiate administration for patients (especially pain patients) who are in no way addicted to the drugs. Dr. Volkow also noted that while physical dependence in relatively easy to treat, addiction is not, a matter that was made all the more confusing by the ill-conceived (in her opinion, and in mine) term. Additionally, the inclusion of severity ratings in the new definition, allowing for a more nuanced, spectrum-like, assessment of addiction disorders, seemed to make Dr. Volkow happy in her own, reserved, way.
Treatment matching - rehab search for the 21st century
As most of my readers know, one of my recent interests centers on the application of current technology to the problem of finding appropriate treatment for suffering addicts. I brought the problem up during this talk, and Dr. Volkow seemed to agree with my assessment that the current tools available are nowhere near adequate given our technological advancements. I talked a bit about our upcoming addiction-treatment-matching tool, and I hope that NIDA will join us in testing the utility of the tool once we're up and running. I truly believe that this tool alone will allow more people to find appropriate treatment increasing the success rate while maximizing our system's ability to treat addicts.
Involving the greater public in addiction research
It wasn't until the end of the conversation that I truly understood the reason for the invitation (I'm slow when it comes to promotional issues) - NIDA is looking to move the discussion about addiction-research, it's goals, and directions out of the academic darkness in which they've lurked for years, and into the light of online discussion. I'm in no way offended by this, especially since this was exactly my point in starting All About Addiction in the first place. If anything, I'm honored to be included in the select group of people NIDA has chose to carry their message, especially since the conversation was an open, respectful, and data-centered one. I hope more of these will occur in the future.
Resolving confusion about addiction
One of the final points we got to discuss in the too-short hour we had Dr. Volkow on the "phone" had to do with the oft misunderstood concept of physical versus psychological addictions. I've written about this misconception in the past, and so I won't belabor the point here, but it's time that we gave our brain the respect it deserves by allowing it to join the rank, along with the rest of our body, and the physical realm. We're no longer ignorant of the fact that our personalities, memories, feelings, and thoughts are driven by nothing more than truly physical, if miniature, happenings in our brains. In the same way that microbe discovery improved our well-being (thank you Pasteur), it's time the concept of the very physical nature of our psychological-being improves our own conceptualization of our selves.
We are physical, spiritual, and awesome, but only if we recognize what it is that makes "us."
© 2010 Adi Jaffe, All Rights Reserved
Adi's Mailing List | Adi's eMail | Follow Adi on Twitter
Become a Fan on Facebook | Connect with Adi at LinkedIn