Before You Jump
If you're sniffing the air beyond your own pad, you'll certainly want to consider your current level of job satisfaction. Ask yourself these questions (only this time, force yourself to pay attention to your answers).
- On a scale from dread to joy, how happy am I to get out of bed in the morning and head for the office?
- On a scale from coma to challenging, how much am I learning, stretching, or in some other way developing professionally?
- On a scale from despised to delightful, how inspiring, supportive, or otherwise productive are my relationships with my close colleagues?
- On a scale from pathetic to proud, how does my current salary and/or level of responsibility match my aspirations?
- And on a scale from thrill seeker to security lover, how much professional risk can I tolerate at this moment in my life (since I just got the divorce or since my mate makes a fortune; since the kids are in school or since I don't have any yet)?
Getting Your Company on Board
Once you've decided on the lily pad or the leap, here's how to improve your chances of getting what you want: